Sojourn to Transformation
4.26.2006
The Long Story
My Papa's funeral proceedings were wonderfully smooth. My dad's family is in a volatile state, and has been for many years. Thanks for all of the prayers. God released peace and healing--for sure a process that is just beginning.

Its a long story... the single most defining moment of my childhood.

My dad was raised in a works based church. Lots of good people hoping that they were good enough to make it to heaven were, in reality, terrified and feeling hopeless. At least that is how my dad sometimes felt. He is a seeker of Truth, so he has always devoured the Bible and all kinds of other writings. When I was 7, my dad got saved. He was fired up about the Truth of coming to Christ by faith, and boldly confronted the elders and leaders in his church. Basically, we got kicked out. Next, he boldy confronted his family.

It was the night that is forever embossed upon my tiny, 7 year old spirit and soul. My grandmother and grandfather (I call them Meme and Papa) whom I had lived next door to since I was born, and adored like no others left our home after much shouting, vowing to never see us again. A promise that they surely kept until I was 18. Thinking back, there are 3 instances from that time on that I saw them. All of them equally painful and ackward. Not only did they eliminate us from their lives, but we were also blacklisted from my dad's siblings...5 total... No Christmas. No Thanksgiving. No Easter. No birthday's. Just one wedding, one funeral, and one time that we thought Papa was dying, so they let us see him.

Then, when I was 18, my grandparents moved back to Indiana from Arkansas. Suddenly, we were invited to a cousin's graduation, and from there on out were included in every family get together. No questions asked. No apologies offered. It just happened with nary a word.

Interestingly enough I've only ever thought about this from my 7 year old grandchild perspective. Following my Papa's death, I realized that my dad was 29 years old--one year older than I am right-- when his entire family rejected him...

*I will tell this story in whole, and I am happy to say, although it doesn't have a storybook ending, God is loving and merciful and there has been much resolution as reflected upon in my poem gift of resolution.
posted by Mandy @ 10:25 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger Bek said…

    wow. well you got me hooked in.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    bek--i know:) always a cliff-hanger.

    tom--thanks so much for your kind words. it is amazing how our relationships shape us. they do bring us such joy and pain. for me, with relationships that bring much joy come the most risk for pain. as you say, healing and forgiveness are not easy roads. God is so good, though, and He loves to heal! I am believe for much healing for my family!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Ps 27:4 One thing I have desired from the LORD, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to pray in His temple.(MKJV)
About Me

Name: Mandy
Home: United States
About Me: I'm Mandy. Wife, mother, worship leader, photographer and lover of Jesus. I'm here to showcase my work as a beginning photographer and to build a portfolio. I enjoy photographing children and families. It is a wonderful experience to capture the essence and beauty of a person in an image.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Listen to Me Sing
Watch Me Sing
Invite me to Sing
Archives
Friends
Site Meter

Powered by


 Blog 
Top Sites

Free Blogger Templates