Sojourn to Transformation
3.22.2006
Man on Trial for Converting to Christianity
Dave Slicker from IHOP-KC brought a this to attention at the 4pm intercession set, yesterday. (I was watching the live feed.) As he put it, this is a precident setting case in Afghanistan, and will set the course for religious freedom. So, we will pray for God's justice and righteousness. We also will pray for this man, Abdul Rahman. So, gatekeepers and intercessors...lets spread the word.


Afghanistan says fate of convert up to the court

By Sayed Salahuddin

Under mounting international pressure over the case of a man facing the death penalty for converting to Christianity, Afghanistan said on Wednesday the judiciary would decide the case.

An Afghan judge said this week a man named Abdur Rahman had been jailed for converting from Islam to Christianity and could face the death penalty if he refused to become a Muslim again.

Sharia, or Islamic law, stipulates death for apostasy. Afghanistan's legal system is based on a mixture of civil and sharia law.

"We in Afghanistan have the prosecutor who observes the law and the court that executes it. Whatever the court orders will be executed as the court is independent," said Mahaiuddin Baluch, an adviser on religious affairs to President Hamid Karzai.

The case has raised alarm overseas and the United States and three other NATO allies with troops in Afghanistan on Tuesday urged respect for religious freedom.

The case is also sensitive for Karzai who depends on foreign troops to battle Taliban and al Qaeda militants, and foreign aid to support the economy, but also has to take into consideration the views of conservative proponents of Islamic law.

Asked about the international outcry, Baluch said: "Everybody has the right to express their view."

Rahman, 40, became a Christian while he was living abroad, a judicial official said earlier. Among the countries he has lived in were Pakistan and Germany, the official said.
...Continue Reading...
posted by Mandy @ 9:49 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Bek said…

    i just heard this on the radio myself and was moved as well.

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    yah, really important to keep this guy in prayer.

    this makes it so tangible to me that we so desperatley need God's justice on the face of this earth.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Chuck Scott said…

    This was the first thing I saw when I checked the news this morning. I posted it on my blog. We need to contend for this Brother. I pray that his actions will turn the hearts of others towards the one and only God. Pray for his safety, and that God will give him the right words to say at the exact time needed.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Ps 27:4 One thing I have desired from the LORD, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to pray in His temple.(MKJV)
About Me

Name: Mandy
Home: United States
About Me: I'm Mandy. Wife, mother, worship leader, photographer and lover of Jesus. I'm here to showcase my work as a beginning photographer and to build a portfolio. I enjoy photographing children and families. It is a wonderful experience to capture the essence and beauty of a person in an image.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Listen to Me Sing
Watch Me Sing
Invite me to Sing
Archives
Friends
Site Meter

Powered by


 Blog 
Top Sites

Free Blogger Templates