Sojourn to Transformation
1.31.2006
Who am I?
Stephen has provoked some thoughts for me today, as I did for him yesterday.

To me, my path has been a long and winding road. Maybe it has taken me longer because at the beginning I was sure I had it all figured out. I studied English eduacation in college, but soon realized that I was taking the easy way out. I wanted a challenge, so I changed to special education, which I love. The class room is not the place for me, though. Neither was Indiana University. I started failing classes because I didn't go. I just hated school. During this time Dan and I were transitioning into marriage, responsiblility. I went to see an advisor who suggested general studies as a fast way to get me out of school with a degree. I had lots of credits in lots of general areas! Twenty more credit hours, and I could have a general studies degree. I finished 17 credits, and need 3 science hours to graduate. One class. But, I'm not really interested in finishing. Most people hate to hear that, so I'll apologize right away. I think its really ironic. People always asking me what I wanted to do. "Not sure." Next question..what is your degree? "Will be general studies. That doesn't narrow it down, does it?"
In the midst of all of that, I became a real estate agent, and did that for a year. Dan and I bought a series of houses that we fixed up and re-sold, and a couple that we rented out. Now, that I really loved. I love finding places that just need TLC and turning them into a potential home. Picking out paint is my favorite part! We have been very successful at that, but it has never been a full-time endeavor, and won't be.
I worked for a couple years for an agency that assists adults with developmental disabilities in the community. That was fun, we went shopping, and to the movies. I became attatched to some of my clients. Still, couldn't see me doing that for the rest of my life.
I worked for my parents company for a year, which was long enough to pay off $11,000 in debt. I had stuggled with that problem for about 6 years. I've been debt free since May 2005. I did administrative stuff for them, not fun, but fun to be with family (for the most part:).
This is becoming a complicated and long story, so I'll get to the point. What a struggle it has been. How uncomplete I have felt. Unworthy..like a stupid, nobody. Until, I opened my mouth to sing...


...to be continued.
posted by Mandy @ 7:11 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger Mark D said…

    Looking forward to reading more along this line...

    Love the new template!

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my goodness. Are you sure you're not my long-lost twin sister? You sound just like me!

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    I knew that I really related to your post, and recognized those emotions!
    We just might be related at least in spirit!

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Bek said…

    HEY, I WAS an english education major too. i am just now starting to read your journey of who you are. so i am starting at the beginning. thanks for writing this....

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Ps 27:4 One thing I have desired from the LORD, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to pray in His temple.(MKJV)
About Me

Name: Mandy
Home: United States
About Me: I'm Mandy. Wife, mother, worship leader, photographer and lover of Jesus. I'm here to showcase my work as a beginning photographer and to build a portfolio. I enjoy photographing children and families. It is a wonderful experience to capture the essence and beauty of a person in an image.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Listen to Me Sing
Watch Me Sing
Invite me to Sing
Archives
Friends
Site Meter

Powered by


 Blog 
Top Sites

Free Blogger Templates