Sojourn to Transformation
3.05.2006
On Fasting
I've been thinking a lot about the subject of fasting considering the Call to 40 Days of Fasting and Prayer.

I don't want to reveal a lot about what I am doing for this fast. Lets just say that I am personally participating in it at some level:) The important things are that I have learned so much in the past few days...

My past fasting experiences have been brief and difficult. So, my expectations are always low. When I got the email concerning this 40 day fast, I automatically set my sights really low. Habit, I guess. It was during my visit to Atlanta IHOP that I really felt a stronger call into wholeheartedness during this fast. The Holy Spirit impressed me to have an attitude of setting my sights high, going for it, and if I fail(which I have and probably will again) to set my sights, again and go for it, again. So, thats my approach, now, which is pretty different from before.

This is what I learned...
1. I have very little self control when it comes to food. I know...not a huge revelation, nevertheless, startling. I was reminded that temperance or self-control is listed as a fruit of the Spirit. Maybe fasting is a key way for the Spirit to release this fruit in our lives.
2. I have gone after this so little, that when it is crisis time (such as our spiritual leaders call a 40 day fast), I will be limited in how I can participate.
3. I really need to make this discipline a weekly practice so that in the future I can enter in more abandondly as calls come forth.
4. There are changes in my diet that I need to make (like do the Daniel fast--always), and it is a matter of deciding wholeheartedly. These changes will make fasting a little less difficult. (Those headaches can be so awful. Anything I can do to decrease those...I need to do.)
5. This discipline might be more mental and emotional than physical...just a small example...I went grocery shopping and to Sams Club (where they have samples all over the place:) while doing a water fast. I was so excited to leave those places having said no to all of the try mes! However, as I started feeling frustrated about something a few hours later, and just snapped and ate.

So, these are wonderful things of which to be aware. This is something for which I feel a new zeal.

I had trouble expressing this coherently, so hopefully you didn't get too lost:)
posted by Mandy @ 9:58 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Mandy, It is great that you are delving into fasting as a part of your spiritual walk. Fasting is one of the those untapped powers, we never really use. I did a 7 day fast and it was really eye opening. I only had liquids..some broth and milk a few times. The first couple of days were hard and after that I began to be able to focus more on God and not the food. I did get a couple of headaches but just popped a couple of ibprofen and that really helped. It is amazing how much I run to food instead of God in a crisis. I will pray for your success and for God's power over you! Blessings to you!

    Love,
    Cindy

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger Chuck Scott said…

    I am the worst faster of all fasterdom. I am also known to make up words for my own purposes. Anyway, I like food, not in the same way most people do, but in a way that keeps me from passing out. So, when it comes to fasting I tend to take a more non traditional approach like a benedictine fast, Daniel fast, etc.. One would think that fasting in that way would be easy, but no, I have problems with even that! I have narrowed it down to one thing. This applies to me only. It is that I have an obedience problem, plain and simple. But the cool thing about it all is that God is pleased when I make my feeble attempt at fasting, because at that moment I am wanting to do it for Him. In my weakness I fail(or fall over) and ask for forgiveness. As a matter of fact I am having to start over again, and we are not even into a full week. I wil also pray for you this next forty days. Be blssed my friend. Be blessed..

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Cindy--thanks for your encouragement and tips on fasting! I'm convinced that I need to press in for grace to fast in the small beginnings.

    Chuck--it is so encouraging knowing that God is pleased with our weak attempts even when we fail. It gives me freedom for wholeheartedness even in my weakness, knowing that I will fail, but have the grace to begin, again. It also helps to have encouragement and support from the body. I will pray for you, as well. 40 days is a long time!
    BTW--what exactly is the benedictine fast? This is the first time I've heard of that.

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Chuck Scott said…

    Benedictine fast is basically one meal a day. You also have to dress like Friar Tuck.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Ps 27:4 One thing I have desired from the LORD, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to pray in His temple.(MKJV)
About Me

Name: Mandy
Home: United States
About Me: I'm Mandy. Wife, mother, worship leader, photographer and lover of Jesus. I'm here to showcase my work as a beginning photographer and to build a portfolio. I enjoy photographing children and families. It is a wonderful experience to capture the essence and beauty of a person in an image.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Listen to Me Sing
Watch Me Sing
Invite me to Sing
Archives
Friends
Site Meter

Powered by


 Blog 
Top Sites

Free Blogger Templates