Sojourn to Transformation
2.07.2006
What's in a Name?
I've heard it said that the meaning of your name is actually a prophetic word over you every time someone speaks it. Like Abram when his name was changed to Abraham, meaning "father of many". Everytime someone addressed him they were calling him father of many when in reality, the future looked as if he would be father of none. God changed His name as a sign to him to give him hope for his tomorrow...hope for his destiny.

I find the meaning of my name to be ironic. The very thing that people speak over me seems to be my emotional deficit. It is the thing I am most afraid of not being true. The thing that I think oposite of immediatley when I am feeling blue.

Amanda...Latin meaning "worthy of love". Hebrew equivalent is the female of David, meaning "beloved". Davida or Ahavah, "cherished one".

And yet, the most basic fear I have is..."no one loves me." Isn't it true that the enemy will try to accomplish the very opposite of prophetic words spoken over you? I have seen that in my own life.

So, what is the meaning of your name? What is the prophetic destiny spoken over you?
posted by Mandy @ 7:34 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Mark D said…

    Um...Mark means "a large hammer"

    Not really sure what to make of that.

    ???

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    I knew there would be some of those!!
    :)

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Bek said…

    wow. i love what you said about abraham - i did not know that. my name means "yoked" or "tied" . i think of it as being yoked to God. but to think of it as a prophecy over me when people say my name is COOL! i do think of that with my son, Israel. he who wrestles with God and man and overcomes. and my husband's name andy means manly and Godly. wow. thanks for this view point.

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Those are some strong names in your family! I get excited thinking about naming my children, and giving them a gift--a legacy. Exciting!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe the same thing--that names are a powerful prophetic word over one's life--which is why it's important to pray about your kids' names before you name them!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Ps 27:4 One thing I have desired from the LORD, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to pray in His temple.(MKJV)
About Me

Name: Mandy
Home: United States
About Me: I'm Mandy. Wife, mother, worship leader, photographer and lover of Jesus. I'm here to showcase my work as a beginning photographer and to build a portfolio. I enjoy photographing children and families. It is a wonderful experience to capture the essence and beauty of a person in an image.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Listen to Me Sing
Watch Me Sing
Invite me to Sing
Archives
Friends
Site Meter

Powered by


 Blog 
Top Sites

Free Blogger Templates