Sojourn to Transformation
2.10.2006
Altruistic Love..
In a study released today...



Altruism may breed better marriages, a new study suggests. Or, the data might mean that good marriages make people more altruistic.
Whatever, altruism and happiness seem to go together in the realm of love.

"Altruistic love was associated with greater happiness in general and especially with more marital happiness," concludes Tom Smith of the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago in a report released today.


al-tru-ism
1. Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.


So, people who put each others needs above their own have happier, more successful marriages. Makes sense.

If I could just do that!

Other interesting facts...
The study found that people who pray every day performed, on average, 77 acts of altruism a year vs. 60 for those who never pray.

Men vs. women

Altruistic love scores were higher for women who are homemakers than women who work outside the home. Men scored higher than women. "This may be because there is an element of heroic stoicism and being a protector," Smith writes in the report.

Altruism runs higher among older people and those with college educations.

Smith also analyzed empathy, described as feeling protective of others or concerned for the less fortunate. Some of the findings:

* Women have a greater feeling of empathy than men.
* Children from two-parent homes are more empathetic.
* Girls raised by a single father are the least likely to develop empathy.
* Financial status bears little on altruism or empathy.
* People who vote are more empathetic and altruistic.
* Empathy is higher among those who fear crime.
* Empathy is higher among those who support increased spending on social programs.


I consider myself to be pretty empathatic, and many of the above statements apply to me.

I also think that a wife's highest calling is altruistic love for her husband and children. Likewise, a husband's highest calling is altruistic love for his wife and children.
posted by Mandy @ 3:27 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Mark D said…

    Wow, good post. I have struggled with thoughts along those lines lately as I search for jobs. Do I do what makes the most money for my family even though I don't like it or do I do something I like, but make less. The alternative would be to believe God for a job that fulfills both. I just have to keep reminding myself - thank you for your reminder.

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Same here...wondering whether to pursue travel and support, or just get a 9-5 kind of thing.

    I'm so sick today, so I wasn't sure that this post was clear:)

    For us, there has been and will be different seasons. Right now, we are in a season where I have to do everything I can do to support Dan in medical school. But, like you...I believe God has a good and perfect plan for me. He has my best at heart!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Ps 27:4 One thing I have desired from the LORD, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to pray in His temple.(MKJV)
About Me

Name: Mandy
Home: United States
About Me: I'm Mandy. Wife, mother, worship leader, photographer and lover of Jesus. I'm here to showcase my work as a beginning photographer and to build a portfolio. I enjoy photographing children and families. It is a wonderful experience to capture the essence and beauty of a person in an image.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Listen to Me Sing
Watch Me Sing
Invite me to Sing
Archives
Friends
Site Meter

Powered by


 Blog 
Top Sites

Free Blogger Templates